Some foods actually rejuvenate the liver, did you know? Also, the liver is the only organ that regenerates in the body! Yes! You have heard that starfish can grow a limb or lizards – tails, so the liver that is damaged can rejuvenate.
The Journal of Biological Chemistry published a study that discovered how liver rejuvenating is really simple. The cells that regenerate in the liver act the same way as embryo cells, as if they were in an embryo! In the latest studies, the scientists discovered some proteins that trigger rejuvenating. The thought that they could stimulate these proteins in people with damaged liver or those that had liver areas removed.
After many testings, it was uncovered also that some previous theories about cells acting as if in embryos were false, and liver rejuvenating happens due to regular cell dividing. So, the researchers say liver regenerating stimulation is possible by activating certain proteins.
Foods that regenerate the liver
Besides the liver taking care of itself, you still need a healthy diet. Certain foods help with this.
- Garlic: the garlic lowers the bad cholesterol that damages the liver. It also has enzymes that cleanse the liver of toxins, making you generally healthier.
- Grapefruit: this fruit has a bunch antioxidants and fibers too. It improves good cholesterol and cleans the liver. But, this fruit seriously can impair some meds effects, so always talk to a doctor before eating it.
- Leafy green veggies: broccoli, spinach and kale are typical examples. They all help the liver get healthier. They also give the body chlorophyll that is a shield against toxins.
- Avocados: they have more than 20 nutrients and vitamins; good for the body and great for the liver in particular. They neutralize the bad free radicals and make more glutathione that eliminates toxins.
- Apples: they are a popular good fruit, but an apple a day is truly good theory – the liver benefits from it and cleanses toxins.
- Brussels sprouts: these are similar to the garlic; keep healthy liver in general. They have sulfur in them which causes healthy liver. Also, they have antioxidants that prevent free radicals damage. To get the best of them cook them with garlic!
Other food examples for rejuvenating liver
Apart from those mentioned foods, there are many more that are healthy for you in general and keep the liver healthy, clean. If you need a snack, next time consider these too:
- Bitter gourd
- Probiotic yoghurt
How does protein help in regeneration of the liver
This is similar to the previous thesis; an UC Davis researcher examined the link between protein and liver rejuvenation. That certain protein that was identified is named PPARa and was tested on mice; the result in the end was fast regeneration in the liver.
What was discovered is that for humans to boost up the PPARa for the liver, they need protein fibroplast factor 21 (FGF21). The author of Yu-Jui Yvonne Wan paper claimed they found FGF21 to be a good safe molecule that fastens liver regeneration and repairs its tissues. The data even claims FGF21 helps with rejuvenation, regardless of removal or damage of liver tissues due to alcohol or disease virus.
The testings showed that PPARa was most effective in the liver repair with mice rather than human. Also, by adding FGF21 the whole process was sped up by making more effective the PPARa. Another benefit of FGF21 is reducing resistance to insulin, speeding up metabolism of fat and reducing fatty liver disease to animals.
Also, Wan says that they discovered FGF21 is a good molecule for repair of the liver and its tissues. Their data also claims how FGF21 aids the liver a lot.
The essential for liver repair in cells is found
It was stated how proteins promote the liver rejuvenation, but latest studies also confirm that a cell has a big role too.
The journal Cell published a study from researchers that discovered cells named hybrid hepatocytes that can create new tissues forming. They tested mice and exposed them to toxins; so the professionals monitored the hybrid hepatocytes roles. They found out that there was no cancer in the new cells made by hybrid hepatocytes. This motivated them more to explore on this hybrid subject.